Thursday, December 30, 2021

What people should know about Velo Cardio Facial Syndrome Part One

 Hi, My name is Charlotte Ash. I am thirty five years old and I was diagonosed with Velo Cardio Facial Syndrome when I was just a kid. For those of you who are unfamiliar with VCFS, Velo Cardio Facial Syndrome is a 22 q deletion, which means that there are strands of DNA missing from my 22nd gene. I struggle with Mathematical concepts including logic and problem solving but I am a very independant person. I can do most things on my own except drive a car and travel independently. I get around the city by taking the bus or by walking. I didn't know that I had a disability until I was about ten or eleven years old. My parents waited until I was much older to tell me that I had a genetic disability. When I was in my late teens, early twenties, I hated having a disability and I tried very hard to make it seem less obvious. I loathed who I was and I despised God because I couldn't have children. I was jealous of my brothers and sister because they could do things that I couldn't and that really bothered me. When I was twenty six, I became a Christian and I stopped wishing that I was normal. I finally realized that my life had meaning. I stopped hiding the truth about who I was and I started to embrace my individuality. I have VCF light which means that I don't have the heart and speech problems and mental health issues often associated with severe VCF. Many teens and adults who have Velo Cardio Facial Syndrome are born with a cleft pallet and heart defects. It is common for people with Velo Cardio Facial Syndrome to develop more severe mental health challenges later in life. 

 

 

No comments:

My life growing up with VCF Part Three.

  My Dad always knew that there was something wrong with me, he just wasn’t sure what. I wasn’t your average kid. I was very slow and very f...