Friday, January 14, 2022

My life growing up with Velo Cardio Facial Syndrome Part Two.

 When I was a single cell in the womb, I already had VCF. As the cell multiplied, each cell had Velo Cardio Facial Syndrome. Velo Cardio Facial Syndrome is caused by the absence of strands of DNA on the 22nd gene. Even though I am mentally challenged, I am a very healthy and independent person. 

I constantly strive to learn new things and develop new interests. When I was younger, I was insecure about meeting new people and trying new things. I was very shy. Whenever people would talk to me, I would clam up and freeze. I would always get tongue tied around strangers. Whenever a relative would strike up a conversation with me at a funeral or a wedding, I would just stare at them. My parents would force me to respond. I preferred staying at home, feeling sorry for myself. When I was in my twenties, my siblings would invite me to the movies or ask me to go bowling with them and I would always say no. Eventually they stopped asking and left me to sulk. I wasn’t very social or outgoing back then. I would turn down any opportunity to try a new thing or build a new skill. 

I didn’t develop an interest in volunteer work until I came to the Lord. I was antisocial and insecure. I only had one friend back in those days because I didn’t go out much. Being connected to God has made me a much more loving person. I am a happier and more confident person than I was in 2007. In 2007 I was angry and miserable for a lot of reasons and I was a bit of a recluse. I hardly ever made plans to go out. In 2012 I became curious about Faith and I wanted to learn more. I wanted to know what it was all about. I read and studied my Bible vigorously every day. The more consistent I was in my scripture reading, the more I realized how much God loved me. I finally understood that my disability wasn’t a mistake and that I was put on this earth for a reason. Knowing that gave me tremendous joy. When I finally figured out who I was and where I came from, my life took on a whole new meaning.  Growing up I had always been told that my disability was a fluke. Hearing that on a daily basis made me mad. I didn’t know at the time that God loved me and that he sent his son to die on the cross for my sin. When I finally believed that I was loved by the creator of the universe, I stopped being a wet blanket and I started living. 


No comments:

My life growing up with VCF Part Three.

  My Dad always knew that there was something wrong with me, he just wasn’t sure what. I wasn’t your average kid. I was very slow and very f...